Pages

Monday, June 14, 2010

Where have I been?


Man, I took a long time off from blogging but did anyone even notice? I doubt it.
Since I've been gone a few things: one is that I took 3rd place in the Storysouth Million Writers Award for best short of 2009 for my story Ditch. Thanks to everyone who voted and supported me. I was really blown away by it.
Work continues with JB Kohl and I on the sequel and it is going well. We just did a big adjustment to the almost-end so we're working our way through how that effects everything now. Over the 65,000 word mark though.
I have a new book idea I want to do but just need to crack a few more beats of the story. If it works - oh man!
Of course, it would be nice if I could do something with the three others I've already finished! Fingers crossed that good news is coming on that very front soon. Don't want to jinx it.
There's been no time to write any shorts lately but I'll have a story in the next all fiction issue of Crimefactory and we are closing in on the end of Jason Duke's story contest. Hope I can show well in that one since there is some great stuff in the running.

This Friday Sophie Littlefield will be in town to sign A Bad Day For Pretty which is exciting and the later in the month Rebecca Cantrell will be here with her sequel A Night of Long Knives.

Um, what else - reading! I've read some great, great stuff lately. The Deputy was amazing, both Severance Package and Expiration Date were phenomenal. I stopped early on two others but also loved Boulevard by Stephen Jay Schwartz.
Has it been so long that I haven't mentioned The Way Some People Die by Ross MacDonald? How am I so late to the party on him? It's because he does a series and I am allergic. I liked it though.
Did I mention The Shotgun Rule by Charlie Huston? Freakin' loved that one. I decided I'm going to check out his Joe Pitt series and maybe the Six bad Things series too. They are only 4 or 5 books long so I can handle it.

I leave you with a great quote from Garrison Keillor on the state of publishing:

"I think that book publishing is about to slide into the sea. We live in a literate time, 
and our children are writing up a storm, often combining letters and numerals 
(U R 2 1derful)...The future of publishing: 18 million authors in America, 
each with an average of 14 readers,
 eight of whom are blood relatives. Average annual earnings: $1.75"

5 comments:

Kate Pilarcik ~ absolutely said...

So Hey Eric ~

Where have you been? You sure took a long time off blogging. I mean, Man oh man I really noticed. There were wet whisperings on cold streets too.

WELCOME HOME! Congrats on the 3rd place out of gazillions in the Storysouth Millions Writer's Award for that damn cool best short story "Ditch". I'm tellin' ya, it sure blew a lot of people away. So, are you and JB Kohl punchin' out a sequel to your preeminent novel, TOO MANY BLOWS TO THE HEAD? Your talents zing so prolifically, I bet you have new book ideas goin' on full blast all the time, hunh?

And you thought just Paul Brazill read this late night report.

Got grin.
Glad you're out there, WriterMan.
~ Absolutely*Kate

David Barber said...

Good luck with everything, Eric. That last quote was just gr8! :-)

Sheila Deeth said...

You've been busy. Sounds fun. And I've been away too, but not so productively.

Ténèbres à la lumière... said...

Hi! Eric,
Believe me I noticed...because you are on my...blog roll!

I'am not sure if you, are aware of this...but, I interviewed the writer Paul D. Brazill, in your absent and he mentioned your name several time during the interview.

I also had a visit by your first commenter the "charming" and amusing, The "great" Absolutely* Kate, too!
Hi! Kate,

All I can say about the books that you read and are planning to read is...Wow!
Why am I shocked! you are a writer.

By the way, let me take the time to congratulate you on placing 3rd place in the Story south Million Writers Award for best short story of 2009 for your story Ditch.

Thanks, for sharing!
DeeDee ;-D

pattinase (abbott) said...

So much good news. And I had about given up on your return.